Wednesday, June 29, 2011

30 Books in 2011


I started this "project" last February 2009 when I got this idea from Rej Rosero who promised to read 50 books in 2011. I don't think I can manage 50 books, so I'm keeping it realistic and I'm aiming for 30 instead. It's now almost July and so far, I've only read 6 books! YIKES!

I'll be posting the covers of the books I'm reading, so I can keep track and stick to my word. No excuse that Momon and I don't have budget for books--I'm reading e-books instead. Got to watch out for my eyes, though. :-)

Anyway, please join me and start your own reading projects! Happy reading everyone! Here are the books I've read so far:

1: DEAD UNTIL DARK by CHARLAINE HARRIS


 1st of the Sookie Stackhouse Novels, Southern Vampire Mysteries. Inspiration for the HBO Series True Blood. Finished Feb 15, 2011. 

The book was an easy read. Very entertaining and interesting. I'm so happy to know that the series was true to the books (at least this one that I read). The changes in the show were all for the better. While reading, it was like I was replaying the 1st season of the TV series in my mind.

For me, the character of Sookie is more likeable in the book. She's more level-headed and funny. 

 2: THE LOST SYMBOL by DAN BROWN


Read the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demos, so I'm quite excited to get into this one. Pero, grabe, sumakit ulo ko dito. Paulit-ulit! Dan Brown kept on inserting facts as if it could convince us that Washington DC is under the veil of conspiracy, possibly hoping to elicit the same buzz as the Da Vinci Code. 

Robert Langdon is great, and the villian Malakh is unrelenting, the twist in the end, the chase and the suspense is superb but these were all washed down by too many unnecessary chapters and the redundant discussion of the same details. 

At around the 400th page, I was begging for everything to just end, nevermind the whole shebang.
3: FIRST FAMILY by DAVID BALDACCI
First Baldacci novel for me. :-) I love suspense novels. Having said that, I say this one is good, full of cliffhangers in between chapters, protagonists you want to root for and a plot that ends in great drama.

So, I'm looking forward to reading more from Baldacci.

4: SIMPLE GENIUS by DAVID BALDACCI

This story features the same protagonists as First Family, only the events actually transpired before the other book. So may story line si Sean and Michelle na alam ko na ang resolution. OK lang rin, at least I know the real reason behind the conflict in the First Family book. 

5: HOUR GAME by DAVID BALDACCI
3rd book I read from Baldacci showcasing the characters Sean King and Michelle Maxwell. Eto pala ang dapat nauna sa sequence. :-) Although all of them can stand alone, meron lang story line yung main characters that run from one book to the other.

There's actually a 4th Maxwell and King book which I have yet to find.

6: ABSOLUTE POWER

This one is nice. :-) The story is very intriguing! It's about the President of the US being involved in a homicide and the efforts of the Secret Service to cover up the crime. The story also has very strong and easy-to-relate-to protagonists, you just can't help but root for. 
-------
So now I have to look for my 7th book. :-) Are cookbooks counted? 


No comments:

Post a Comment