Sunday, March 07, 2010

Looking for a Designer

I'm trying to get a hold of the emotions I'm feeling now. Perhaps a blog entry would help me sort things out.

My current wedding task is focused on the wedding attire. For some people, this may be the first thing on their list, but for a t-shirt and pants girl like me, it isn't. Still, I know and acknowledge that the wedding attire is as weighty as one's church, reception venue, etc. Everyone will be judging--and I really mean judging--the bridal gown, right?

So, I do the drill. I research for endless nights for my, Momon's and the entourage's wedding attire inspirations and pegs. I'm not very hard to please, I think. So, for over several months now, I already have--what I think--is my dream wedding dress. Really, it's easy to choose among designs, cuts, and beaded drama when you're only 5 foot flat, not exactly svelt, and most of all, under a tight budget.

So, on to the next step: finding someone to execute design.

CORA
Our family has a trusted seamstress. I wouldn't call her a designer. She has never referred to herself as one. Her main focus in the fashion industry is office garments production, not really bridal.

Our experience with her has always been very positive. My mom and sister are both on the heavy side, and they have office tops and pants made by her. We've also had gowns for weddings and other special occasions done by her, all to our utmost satisfaction. We would gladly referred her to anyone looking for a seamstress.

Work ethic is fabulous. She comes to our house, instead of us going to her shop. She's more of a trusted colleague and partner, rather than a distant supplier.

I've been in contact with her over email. Last Sunday, she went to our house for a meeting to decide on fabric, designs, etc. She said that all these decisions will help her make an accurate quote.

Everything went well, and at the moment, I'm just waiting for her quote.

JOE AND GRETCHEN
Now... what to do next.
I feel I need to explore. Cora has mentioned that her bridal gowns start at P35,000. Hmmm... I felt it was pricey for someone who does not focus on bridal gowns. I'm sure, with all the information I get from W@W community, I'll be able to find a designer who specializes in bridal gowns, and will do it at the same or lower cost. If so all else is equal, I'll go with the latter.

Joe San Antonio and Gretchen Pichay are two young designers. From what I've seen in their Multiply portfolios, they are talented and creative. The W@W community has also showered them with good feedback. I'm looking forward to meeting them.


Managing My Lack of Entusiasm
Perhaps, meeting someone for the first time about this bridal gown, will bring my excitement up. I feel, I should start treating this as an adventure, as a new field to conquer, rather than a Waterloo.

I should allow myself to feel OK that I'm spending P30,000 ++ for a dress I am going to wear only once. I need to feel the moment, I need to feel OK about it in order to push myself to get the best option.

I need to stop over analyzing and just go with what my heart instructs. Something tells me, this bridal gown issue can not be resolve purely on reason, like I have been doing for some suppliers.

I need to own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment