Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Joe San Antonio

6 months to go, and I've chosen my bridal gown designer: Joe San Antonio

The Story:
I've already written about my bridal gown dilemma/drama here:
http://rmacachor.multiply.com/journal/item/38

So, to finally zap myself out o that ditch, I met with two designers.

Gretchen Pichay
I went to Gretchen Pichay's house in New Manila, which is also her atelier. The whole basement/silong of her house is like her shop. Dun na rin nagtatahi.

She is very warm, simple lang, very casual. Unang ginawa n'ya was to review yung mga design pegs na binigay ko. Nagandahan sya particular sa neckline and train. So, from there, nag-sketch na sya agad.

Sketch Description:

* The neck/upper part is similar to my peg, with a sweetheart neckline. In the torso area, she put drapings in X pattern. She then put a pseudo belt with beadings. Lace with abound the drapings until the upper part of the skirt.
* At the back, she will execute my peg for the train, with electropleated cloth. She will also put a flower or ribbon at the waist.


My Choice:
JOE SAN ANTONIO
www.joesanantonio.multiply.com

I visited Joe San Antonio in her atelier in Eisenhower Tower, Greenhills.
Her office was more formal, more business like. She has all these colored pens and drawing tools. There were also a lot of magazine to browse.

From my pegs, she asked me which is my favorite--of course I say the neckline. She then sketched two designs, both applying the neckline I like.

Sketch 1
The bodice kas X pattered drapings, skimming the torso and ending in a horizontal line a bit below the butt. The skirt is a two-tiered bubble skirt, with the tiers moving in opposing directions.

Sketch 2
The neckline and bodice had the same concept, but this time she didn't have the horizontal cut. The X-pattern ended at the hips. Then, the lower portion is a combination of a-line and mermaid tiered chiffon.

Initial Thoughts:
I think what really appealed to me with Joe is her work ethic. She only accepts 4 to 5 bridal gowns per month to ensure the quality. Her office is neat. She has a cleint's info sheet, sample agreement form, rate card, her swatches were all in order, etc. In a situation where she and Gretchen were almost in the same footing, these things mattered.

The "this is it" feeling brides always refer to came to me after listing down my observations both for Gretchen and Joe.

I went alone to these meetings because I felt I needed to own this process. In the end, the decision will entirely rest on me. Since I consider this my waterloo, I feel will easily be persuaded by others, and I don't want that to happen. Therefore, I really just have to trust myself to know what it is I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment