Thursday, July 07, 2011

My Go-To Salad

If I want something fast, simple and delicious, I reach for some lettuce, grilled meat and fruit, and make myself a simple salad. It's so easy, you can actually make it later tonight.




Ingredients
Serves 2
Quick Note: I never really know how much I use, I just prepare this based on the number of diners. So, this list of ingredients is a bit inaccurate in terms of measurement. But I trust that you sense the proportion based on what I put below, and it really depends on how much you eat and if you are pairing this with other dishes.

Greens: 1 small head of iceberg lettuce or your lettuce of choice

Meat 1: 2 halves of boneless chicken breast
OR 1 can of tuna flakes in oil, drained and sauteed with onion 

Meat 2, optional: 2-3 slices of bacon, slightly crushed

Fruit: 1 cheek of ripe mango, cut into cubes
OR 2-4 tablespoons of canned mandarin oranges
OR 2-4 tablespoons of pineapple tidbits 

Dressing: My favorite is honey mustard, but it's up to you.



Method:
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Grill them, 8 to 10 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Set aside to rest before slicing.
2. Grill bacon, if using.
3. Wash the greens.
4. Toss all the ingredients together with the dressing.

If you are using canned tuna instead of chicken, I recommend that you first sautee it with onion to remove the fishy/slimy feel or langsa.

You can also add some nuts like cashew, almonds or even pistachio if you want a little crunch.

It's so simple, I know! Nothing should stop you from trying this yourself.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment